Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Going thru Kansas yesterday was quite sobering. We took route 160, a two lane road in the middle of absolutely nowhere. There were long stretches of road with just grassland on both sides and an occasional small single story stone home that a settler and his family had once lived in. I can only imagine how tough it must have been to eek out an existence in this area. I played the music from Dances With Wolves to compliment the scenery.  Kansas is dust, grassland and wind. Occasionally we went thrusmall towns that had most of it's businesses closed down. No one is around anymore. One town in particular, Moline, Kansas was one I had heard of for some reason. When driving into town it was heartbreaking to envision what a vibrant little town this must have been 60 years ago.
Today was Missouri but on a much busier highway. We got thru it and are currently in Kentucky. Tomorrow we continue east to the tail of the dragon. If we can find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment